Been drinking emjen?
Hello. I say fuck the continuity system, the 180 rule and all that other bullshit. Lets rebel. And make art. ART.
Ok, in all seriousness... this is about cutting and editting. The 180 rule is fading away slowly because of all the commercial/videoclip editing we see everyday, and nowadays the audience is hardly confused by a person switching places or anything like that. So I say fuck it, if you think a shot is better some way but crosses the holy axis, just do the shot boyyo!
Then something different. these days everything has to be editted snipsnapsnop. (Meaning fast, very fast). I can't watch a commercial without getting a headache of all the shots flying right at me. (Ok, commercials are a bad example because they're just 30 secs and have to tell the most in the least) but this way of editing has been seen in movies and video clips more and more. (especially the 'hip' blockbuster movies). And what I really hate is seeing a nice (perhaps slowmotion, i dig slowmotion) shot ruined because the editor thought it would be better to cut it with some sort of other shot. Man, why ruin a perfectly beautiful slowmotion shot?! Because it'll get boring fast??? Damn.
Then on the other hand, I don't like boring movies. I didn't particulary like Zatoichi because all those beautiful shots kept coming at me! 'We slowly go from the rooftop, to some flowers, and then through the rain in the falling mud we finally see the protagonist'. In that case, I say cut that shit because it's just too long. Don't stretch things if they need not be stretched. A pretty shot is a pretty shot, it's always nice, but don't make EVERY shot a longlasting pretty shot.
Well then, I hope you have learned from me.
Been drinking emjen?
Been on Speed, Emjen?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 02, 2004 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Kev Owens ]</font>
Been ...errr ...injecting smack into your eyeballs, Emjen?
Been Emjen, Emjen?
[img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]
argh! they're everywhere!
edit: ok, i needed my ranting there for a moment, but this thread was actually supposed to get reactions about editing. We havent had an editing topic yet on this board, so there. Here. Yessss.
I'm sorry, I guess the 'e-me' is taking over control. But talk about general editing here!
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 02, 2004 01:19 PM: Message edited by: emjen ]</font>
One thing I've learned about editing is that you should never make the final decision until you see the cut. Then you know if it works, or not.
So go ahead and rebel! Break the rules! Make art!
But if it looks shit, don't come crying back to us!
why don't we all just stick to the rules then everyone is happy.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That way of thinking doesn't give you any freedom!Originally posted by slamjockey:
why don't we all just stick to the rules then everyone is happy.
...freedom of choice, freedom of though...
Film composition technique is purely a language that we (the audience) have come to learn to understand very well... but like all lanuages, they grow and evolve (think of the English language: from Shakespeare to Eminem).
If you've ever watched a film, like a student film, that disregarded the 180 degree rule completely, you'de realize how extremely important it is to follow it.
However, there are times when the disconcerting effect of breaking the rule is helpful to the scene.
There's a reason why it's a "rule". To break it at random or to "rebel" is quite ignorant.
Just like removing the lens cap is a "rule". You can break it if you want. But prepare to suffer the consequences.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 03, 2004 09:08 AM: Message edited by: GREATwarEAGLE ]</font>
Bookmarks